Cape Town, District Six Museum
Format Extent4 colour photographs
RightsThese items are subject to copyright protection. Reproduction of the content, or any part of it, other than for research, academic or non-commercial use is prohibited without prior consent from the copyright holder.
MetadataShow full item record
Photographs and information on a bell housed at the District Six Museum in Cape Town. The museum houses a bell that used to belong to Orangezicht, a suburb on the south side of the city that was occupied as a farm by the Van Breda-family until 1947, with 7 successive generations. It lies on one of the slopes of the beautiful Table Mountain. On the farm the bell was used as a slave bell. Because of this historic background the bell, dating from 1776, was incorporated into the collection of the District-6 Museum in 1996. The bell belonged to the VOC. It was probably founded by Cyprianus Crans, who in 1734 became the successor of Jan Albert de Grave as bell and canon founder of the city of Amsterdam. Closer investigation did not give more information. For the decorations we find one moulding wire and 1776 just above the sound bow. On the reverse waist of the bell we find the VOC-emblem and AMSTELDAM also just above the sound bow. Further one more moulding wire at the nose. Perhaps the writing of Amsteldam rather than Amsterdam might tell us more about the origin of the bell.