Show simple item record

dc.date.accessioned2016-03-29T07:36:42Z
dc.date.available2016-03-29T07:36:42Z
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10019.2/5200
dc.descriptionOn the West side of Beaufort West is the Nederduits Gereformeerde Kerk of Gamka East. The congregation was started in 1949 and the current building dates from 1950. In the tower hangs a rather large bell whose only decoration sits below the shoulder in a band that contains fish-like figures separated by the Christian symbol of the Cross and Rho sign. Exactly the same kind of decoration appears on a much smaller bell of the Witsand NG-Kerk. But in contrast to the bell in Gamka East, the Witsand bell also carries a founder’s emblem that informs us that very likely the bell has been cast by the Petit & Gebrüder Edelbrock foundry in Gescher, Westfalen, Germany, where the foundry had its main location and where currently the Deutsches Glockenmuseum is located.en_ZA
dc.format.extent6 colour photographs
dc.format.extent1 spreadsheet
dc.format.mediumPhotograph
dc.format.mediumText
dc.language.isoenen_ZA
dc.rightsThese items are subject to copyright protection. Reproduction of the content, or any part of it, other than for research, academic or non-commercial use is prohibited without prior consent from the copyright holder.
dc.titleBeaufort West, Dutch Reformed Church, Gamka Easten_ZA
dc.typeImageen_ZA
dc.rights.holderStellenbosch University


Files in this item

Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record