Swellendam, Suurbraak, United Reformed Church
Format Extent7 colour photographs
RightsThese items are subject to copyright protection. Reproduction of the content, or any part of it, other than for research, academic or non-commercial use is prohibited without prior consent from the copyright holder.
MetadataShow full item record
Photographs and information on the United Reformed Church in Suurbraak. The Verenigde Gereformeerde Kerk in Suurbraak was originally started by the London Missionary Society in 1812 upon a request by the local Khoisan Chief Captain Hans Moos. The building itself dates from 1828. There are two detached bell towers next to the church suggesting that the mission was quite important. One of these bell towers is empty but it is obvious that there has been a bell hanging in it. In the other tower hangs a rather non-descriptive bell. The way how this bell has been hooked to the yoke and the plain appearance of the bell itself suggest that the bell is not the original one. However, there is currently no proof for this suggestion.
- Swellendam