Show simple item record

dc.coverage.spatialSuurbraak (South Africa)
dc.coverage.temporal1828
dc.date.accessioned2016-03-31T09:12:11Z
dc.date.available2016-03-31T09:12:11Z
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10019.2/5237
dc.description.abstractPhotographs and information on the United Reformed Church in Suurbraak. The Verenigde Gereformeerde Kerk in Suurbraak was originally started by the London Missionary Society in 1812 upon a request by the local Khoisan Chief Captain Hans Moos. The building itself dates from 1828. There are two detached bell towers next to the church suggesting that the mission was quite important. One of these bell towers is empty but it is obvious that there has been a bell hanging in it. In the other tower hangs a rather non-descriptive bell. The way how this bell has been hooked to the yoke and the plain appearance of the bell itself suggest that the bell is not the original one. However, there is currently no proof for this suggestion.
dc.format.extent7 colour photographs
dc.format.extent1 spreadsheet
dc.format.mediumPhotograph
dc.format.mediumText
dc.language.isoenen_ZA
dc.rightsThese items are subject to copyright protection. Reproduction of the content, or any part of it, other than for research, academic or non-commercial use is prohibited without prior consent from the copyright holder.
dc.subjectSuurbraak (South Africa) -- Pictorial worksen_ZA
dc.subjectSuurbraak (South Africa) -- Bellsen_ZA
dc.subjectOverberg (South Africa) -- Bellsen_ZA
dc.subjectBells -- South Africa -- Historyen_ZA
dc.subjectMoos, Hansen_ZA
dc.titleSwellendam, Suurbraak, United Reformed Churchen_ZA
dc.title.alternativeSuurbraak, United Reformed Church (Overberg District)en_ZA
dc.typeImageen_ZA
dc.rights.holderStellenbosch University


Files in this item

Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record