Drakenstein, Wellington, Market
C. & G. Mears (Firm)
Format Extent5 colour photographs
RightsThese items are subject to copyright protection. Reproduction of the content, or any part of it, other than for research, academic or non-commercial use is prohibited without prior consent from the copyright holder.
MetadataShow full item record
Photographs and information on the bell in the old market centre in Wellington, South Africa. The Old Market Building holds a bell. The Wellington Information Centre is located in the Old Market Building which dates back to 1847. The bell in the adjoining clock tower used to announce to the town's inhabitants that the day's marketing activities were about to start. Because of the very height of the bell tower it was almost impossible to read the inscriptions. The distribution of the moulding wires on the bell seems to run analogous to that on the outside church bell that stands a few meters away in the church garden. On the inscription band in between the first and second pair of moulding wires one reads C & G MEARS FOUNDERS LONDON 1854. The bell doesn’t have further decorations.
- Drakenstein