Show simple item record

dc.date.accessioned2016-04-01T07:28:17Z
dc.date.available2016-04-01T07:28:17Z
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10019.2/5273
dc.descriptionThe Nederduits Gereformeerde Kerk has two types of ringing instruments, namely a pair of hollow spheres in the tower and a large bell in a detached bell tower outside. This church has been built in 1862 by George Burkell. In the tower hangs a pair of half spheres of different tunes that are linked to an impressive clock on the lower floor. Such shells are somewhat unusual in the Western Cape where we only found another set of five in the C.P. Nel Museum in Oudtshoorn. There are no indications of a founder or a clockmaker. The church has an impressive entrance. Also the bell tower is so tall that it was physically impossible to measure the bell. In between two pairs of moulding wires stands the information on the foundry MEARS & STAINBANK FOUNDERS, LONDON, 1876 Further in the band figures the emblem of the foundry with three bells and the acronym A H probably refers to Arthur Huges. Below this emblem are remnants of a painted triangle whose content could not be deciphered. On the waist is a further painting that reads MONTAGU CAPE TOWN 780 that refers to the destination of the bell and probably to its number in the order book of the foundry.en_ZA
dc.format.extent10 colour photographs
dc.format.mediumPhotograph
dc.language.isoenen_ZA
dc.rightsThese items are subject to copyright protection. Reproduction of the content, or any part of it, other than for research, academic or non-commercial use is prohibited without prior consent from the copyright holder.
dc.titleLangeberg, Montagu, Dutch Reformed Churchen_ZA
dc.typeImageen_ZA
dc.rights.holderStellenbosch University


Files in this item

Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record