Northern Suburbs, Bellville, Vredelust, Dutch Reformed Church
Format Extent4 colour photographs
RightsThese items are subject to copyright protection. Reproduction of the content, or any part of it, other than for research, academic or non-commercial use is prohibited without prior consent from the copyright holder.
MetadataShow full item record
The Nederduits Gereformeerde Kerk in Vredelust has a bell. On the waist of the bell we find 1957 as the founding year. Between the 9 and the 5 sits a founder’s emblem. The bell is definitely founded by Mears as can be seen on the joke of the bell. Moreover, the emblem with the three bells is typical for bells from the Whitechapel foundry. There however is no certainty about the specific founder. The letters on the bottom line within the emblem read DH. These initials probably refer to Douglas Hughes who worked in the foundry over the period 1950-1997. The significance of the other initials A WA is not yet clear. On the waist on the other side of the bell one reads the inscription CAST FOR WILL W KEAY & SON CAPE TOWN which probably refers to the donor of the bell. Note however that there is another Mears bell cast in 1958 for the same group in the Nederduits Gereformeerde Kerk in Caledon.