Northern Suburbs, Vasco, Evangelical Lutheran Church
Format Extent6 colour photographs
RightsThese items are subject to copyright protection. Reproduction of the content, or any part of it, other than for research, academic or non-commercial use is prohibited without prior consent from the copyright holder.
MetadataShow full item record
The Evangelical-Lutheran Church in Vasco was inaugurated in 1954. Next to the church is a nice bell tower in brick stones in which hangs a bell of moderate dimensions. Unfortunately, the bell itself does not challenge the niceness of the bell tower. The bell has been made by Bochumer Verein für Bergbau und Gussstahlfabrikation (BVG) in Bochum, Germany. On one waist of the bell we read VREDE OP AARDE and on the opposite waist LUTHERSE KERK VASCO 1954 followed by the emblem of the foundry. The foundry started in 1854 and is still operational. The main products of the foundry are steel bells that are very susceptible to corrosion. As is clear from the pictures, the bell is much corroded and this should have an influence on the sound quality of the bell. Other locations within the Western Cape that have bells from the same foundry are found in Stellenbosch, Worcester and Wuppertal.