Southern Suburbs, Newlands, St. Andrew's Anglican Church
Gillet & Co. (Firm)
Format Extent4 colour photographs
RightsThese items are subject to copyright protection. Reproduction of the content, or any part of it, other than for research, academic or non-commercial use is prohibited without prior consent from the copyright holder.
MetadataShow full item record
The St. Andrew's Anglican Church in the Cape Town suburb of Newlands was built in 1894 by Sir Herbert Baker. The church has a bell that was donated to the church in 1895 and mounted in the neighbouring turret on the roof in 1897. The decorations on the bell are simple with two times two moulding wires on the shoulder, two on the sound bow and two on the lip. The only inscription on the bell is found in the middle of the waist and reads GILLETT & CO 1890. The company that founded the bell was the successor of Gillett, Bland & Co that founded the Claremont bells but changed its name after the death of Charles Bland in 1884. There is still a need to collect the physical and acoustical data of the bell.