Southern Suburbs, Bergvliet, Holy Redeemer Catholic Church
John Taylor & Company (Bellfounders)
Format Extent8 colour photographs
RightsThese items are subject to copyright protection. Reproduction of the content, or any part of it, other than for research, academic or non-commercial use is prohibited without prior consent from the copyright holder.
MetadataShow full item record
The Holy Redeemer Catholic Church in Bergvliet was opened in 1936. It has a pretty bell tower that can easily be reached. The bell is a typical British product. Below the shoulder are two pairs of moulding rings with in between JOHN TAYLOR & CO FOUNDERS * LOUGHBOROUGH * ENGLAND * 1948. Above the sound bow are three more moulding rings and another two on the knee. What is a bit unusual is that there appears an abbreviation on the flank of the bell. It reads A.M.D.G. 1948 what stands for Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam, meaning To the major glory of God, followed by the year of founding. The bell is in good shape. Although the bell is mounted on a wheel, there is a chord twisted around the clapper. To make the ringing easy, one has fixed a counterweight on the clapper above its pivoting bar.