|dc.description||The Nederduits Gereformeerde Kerk in Vredenburg dates from 1902. The church has an impressive bell tower in which hangs an equally impressive bell. The bell has been specifically made for the church. Decorations on the bell are rather minimal. Below the shoulder stands a text that refers to the sponsor
“ MNR. P.A. KOTZÉ , BOESAKSKRAAL, VREDENBURG”
Above the sound bow figures the founder’s circular emblem. Within the emblem appears a bell that splits the founding year 1953 in two. The top part of the emblem contains the name J. F. WEULE while the lower part refers to the location of the foundry, namely BOCKENEM.
In 1836 a clock factory was started in Bockenem am Harz in Germany by J.F. Weule (1811-1897). His son Friedrich (1855-1952) added bell casting from 1880 onwards. His own son Friedrich jr (1883-1954) got involved in war activities. He also was responsible for a connection in 1918 with the Apolda factory run by the Brothers Ulrich. The firm was closed in 1966.||en_ZA