Bredasdorp, Dutch Reformed Church
Korfhage, Eduard & Sohne
Format Extent6 colour photographs
RightsThese items are subject to copyright protection. Reproduction of the content, or any part of it, other than for research, academic or non-commercial use is prohibited without prior consent from the copyright holder.
MetadataShow full item record
Photographs and information on set of bells in the Dutch Reformed Church, Bredasdorp. The Dutch Reformed Church has an interesting set of five bell from the same founder and donated to the congregation by J.G. Giliomee. On the bourdon one finds in early German gothic writing, the name and location of the caster. Ed. Korfhage und Söhne Buer.Prov. Hannover 1912. The five bells are made according to the same profile and are put in a single frame. The firm Korfhage & Söhne has been started in 1810 in Buer, a small town close to Osnabruck in Germany and is still operating. The firm specializes in tower clocks and in beautiful clocks with turning figures as one occasionally finds in Western Europe. The set of bells in Bredasdorp is somewhat special since according to the information on the firm’s website, they only started founding bell groups in 1938. On one of the illustrations one can admire the beautiful decoration on all of the bells. The text with the founder’s name only appears on the bourdon and on the middle bell. Remembering the confiscation of bells in Germany and abroad during the Great War, one can only be happy that this fine quintet escaped destruction thanks to its former travel to Bredasdorp.
- Cape Agulhas