Cape Town, Lutheran Church, Strand Street
Format Extent2 colour photographs
RightsThese items are subject to copyright protection. Reproduction of the content, or any part of it, other than for research, academic or non-commercial use is prohibited without prior consent from the copyright holder.
MetadataShow full item record
Photographs and information on the bells in the church tower of the Lutheran Church in Strand. The Lutherans built their church in 1774 in Strand Street but as a disguised warehouse. In 1779 the church was accepted by the Dutch rulers as a place of worship. From 1818 to 1820, a church tower was added to the original building and three bells were hung. The three bells are still there and seemingly in good shape. We did not find inscriptions that would refer to founder or year of casting. The decorations on the bells are the same: A half circle of fish-like symbols can be seen between the two sets of moulding wires just below the crown of the bells.Street, Cape Town.