Breede River Valley, Worcester, Market Square
Format Extent2 colour photographs
RightsThese items are subject to copyright protection. Reproduction of the content, or any part of it, other than for research, academic or non-commercial use is prohibited without prior consent from the copyright holder.
MetadataShow full item record
Photographs and information on the bell in Worcester Market Square. One of the landmarks of Worcester is a so-called slave bell that hangs in a horseshoe bow on the Market Square. According to documents provided by the city authorities the bell has been functioning since 1822. During many years, the Worcester municipality was relayed by telephone to the Cape Town’s Noon Gun. A ringer stood by on the square and struck the bell when the signal was received. Historically the additive slave bell is problematic as other sources mention that the bell has been a cow bell. It was tradition that farmers could use the immense square to feed their cattle. However, the cows had to leave the meadow in the evening and the bell was used to indicate when this had to happen. At the moment the bell has no clapper and is heavily damaged from hanging outside in rain and sun. We are somewhat fortunate that we were able to read at the inscription band LEVICK which probably refers to the same founder as of the bell in the Spier estate in Stellenbosch. The name Levick is Jewish by origin. With the information provided by the authorities one would conclude that both bells are from the first part of the nineteenth century. However we have been unable to gain more information on the person behind the name.
- Breede Valley