Stellenbosch, Dutch Reformed Church
Format Extent14 colour photographs
RightsThese items are subject to copyright protection. Reproduction of the content, or any part of it, other than for research, academic or non-commercial use is prohibited without prior consent from the copyright holder.
MetadataShow full item record
Photographs and information on the bells of the Moederkerk (Dutch Reformed Church) in Stellenbosch. In the Dutch Reformed Moederkerk of Stellenbosch we find a set of 6 bells that replaced three former bells with a very interesting history. In 1863 the new and enlarged Moederkerk was consecrated. A short time later a tower was added and three new bells from Germany were installed. The largest bell Jan was given by Jan Martinus Beyers from the neighbouring wine estate Nooitgedacht, the middle one Flip by Philip Myburgh from Elsenburg, the smallest one Oubaas by Oubaas Beyers from Muldersvlei. The bells were cast by Friedrich Gruhl from Bautzen who was also the founder of the two beautifully cast bells in Genadendal. In 1902 the largest bell was replaced by a steel bell from Bochumer Verein, the maker of the two steel bells on de Braak in the city and of the bells in the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Worcester. Two of these Gruhl bells now hang in a bell frame on the Beyers farm in the district of Riviersonderend. All bells carry the same minimal decoration on the front side. They all have the same inscription, except that five bells have the date 1983 and one bell the date 1985. The inscription reads as follows GEGIET DEUR GEBRÜDER RINCKER VIR DIE MOEDERKERK STELLENBOSCH 1983 (or 1985) On the rear side we find the emblem of the founders. The partials of all six bells have been recovered as well as their physical measurements. There is also an interesting soprano bell. This bell has a very nice sound but unfortunately its origin and the founder are unknown. It dates from 1899 and is approximately 70 cm in diameter. Perhaps the seal can help in tracing the founder. The bell is used as hour clock and hangs above the 6 Rincker bells. The bell is fixed at the ceiling in the bell chamber and the clapper has been replaced by a hammer. The sound of the bell is fresh and the partials have been recovered.
- Stellenbosch 
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Manuscripts Section, Stellenbosch University Library and Information ServiceThis index describes the Andreas van Wyk Collection and contains correspondence ; memorandums ; day planners ; agendas and minutes ; personalia ; speeches and commendatios ; financial statements ; reports. Prof. Andreas ...