George, Dutch Reformed Church
Gillett & Johnston (Firm)
Format Extent20 colour photographs
RightsThese items are subject to copyright protection. Reproduction of the content, or any part of it, other than for research, academic or non-commercial use is prohibited without prior consent from the copyright holder.
MetadataShow full item record
Photographs and information on the bells of the Dutch Reformed Church in George, South Africa. The Nederduits Gereformeerde Moederkerk George had an outside bell that was cast in London in 1842 and installed in 1843. There is a full length vertical crack visible which was “welded”, but not with much care. It has 11 moulding wires with inscription: London 1842. This bell is the third bell of the church. After the crack had occurred, use of the bell was terminated in 1905. In 1951 it was given to the daughter church Blanco. There it was used until 1975. At that time, it was put in its present position in the tower outside the church building as a monument. Here is also a plaque with the following wording: HIERDIE KLOK (GEGIET) TE LONDON 1842 IS IN 1843 IN DIE KERKTORING GEINSTALLEER. MET DIE VAL VAN DIE TORING IN 1905 IS DIE KLOK BESKADIG. IN 1951 IS DIE KLOK AAN DIE DOGTERGEMEENTE BLANCO GESKENK WAAR DIT IN GEBRUIK WAS BY DIE KERKSAAL TOTDAT DIE GEMEENTE IN 1975 ’N KERKGEBOU GEKRY HET. DIE LANGGEBOU (AGTER HIERDIE KLOKTORONG) HET VANAF 1821 TOT 1842 DIENS GEDOEN AS KERKGEBOU. DAARNA IS DIT TYDELIK DEUR DIE SENDING GEMEENTE GEBRUIK AS KERK. Inside the church tower hang 3 bells. The smallest bell carries the number 2033 on its crown. The second smallest bell has number 2031 while the largest bell is numbered 2030. All three bells are Gillett & Johnston bells dated 1906. They all have 11 moulding wires of which two are on top of the crown and not visible on the pictures. The inscriptions on bells 1 and 2 are similar: Gillett & Johnston Founders 1906. The inscription on bell number 3 is: Gillett & Johnston Founders Croydon England 1906 “FLORENCE”. The inscription “FLORENCE” on the waist of the bell is due to a request from Mr Philipson Stow because his sister, Florence had a very loud voice and “when the bell peals the whole of the town can hear her voice”; this according to Clayton Allsop, double grandson of Ds Ballot under whose service this bell was presented when the church was built. The clock driving the timing was manufactured by Gillett & Johnston Manufacturers, Croydon, England: GESCHENK VAN F.S.PHILIPSON-STOW. EEN OPRECHT VRIEND EN WELDOENER VAN ZUID AFRICA. 1906. PRESENTED BY F.S. PHILIPSON-STOW. A SINCERE FRIEND AND BENEFACTOR OF SOUTH AFRICA. 1906.
- George