Hessequa, Heidelberg, Dutch Reformed Church
C. Voss & Sohn
Format Extent15 colour photographs
RightsThese items are subject to copyright protection. Reproduction of the content, or any part of it, other than for research, academic or non-commercial use is prohibited without prior consent from the copyright holder.
MetadataShow full item record
The Nederduits Gereformeerde Kerk in Heidelberg has a beautiful and historic bell. The canons consist of 6 angels, similar to the canons of the Gruhl bells. Below the shoulder is a wide band of laurels. Underneath this frame another narrow laurel band, followed by the inscription on the front side Gegossen von C. Voss & Sohn In Stettin 1880. No 806. In between the date and the numbering figures another laurel. Five more moulding wires and a small laurel belt are found on the sound bow. On the reverse side of the bell one reads De Nederduitsch - Gereformeerde Gemeente te Heidelberg Het Woord des Heeren blyft in der Eeuwigheid. 1. Petr. 1. v. 251. In the 150-year anniversary book of the congregation the following references are made on pages 43 and 44. On page 43 it is mentioned that J.D. Beyers of Klapmuts gave a bell that originated from the Stellenbosch Moederkerk. On page 44 one reads that Reverend D. Heese of the Berliner Missionsgesellschaft in Riversdale made contact with Germany to find a bell with a fitting tone. The bell foundry Voss & Sons from Stettin was asked to found the bell and to send it to Heidelberg by freight for the cost of £30. The bell was installed in an open frame on the right hand side of the C.O. Hager church. Later in 1913 the bell was transported from the frame into the tower. At the same time a clock was installed. The clock has been manufactured by A. Fischer from Port Elizabeth. Up to now it has been unclear what has happened to the Stellenbosch bell. References to the church in Witsand however lacks credibility.
- Hessequa