Hessequa, Witsand, Dutch Reformed Church
Petit & Gebruder Edelbrock (Firm)
Format Extent9 colour photographs
RightsThese items are subject to copyright protection. Reproduction of the content, or any part of it, other than for research, academic or non-commercial use is prohibited without prior consent from the copyright holder.
MetadataShow full item record
Photographs and information on the Dutch Reformed Church and its bell in Witsand. The Nederduits Gereformeerde Kerk in Witsand is rather recent. It is built in 1950 close to the seacoast and has an attractive hall and tower. The tower and the bell have been donated by Hennie and Harriet Van Eeden in 1962. The bell has been cracked, probably after a fall but has been repaired. Fortunately, the founder’s emblem can be recovered. Below the shoulder and in between two moulding wires runs a decorative band with fishes and the cross and rho sign as we encountered it in the Gamka East Nederduits Gereformeerde Kerk in Beaufort West. On the waist stands 19 EMBLEM 61. The circular emblem surrounds the founder’s seal. In the ring around the seal the upper half circle reads PETIT & GEBR. EDELBROCK while in the lower half circle stands GESCHER – WESTF. This last word is an abbreviation for Westfalen, the district where the foundry has been located in Germany since 1690. The seal itself is damaged by the repair. Comparing it with other examples, one finds a tree that surrounds three bells.
- Hessequa