Swellendam, Malgas, Dutch Reformed Church
Format Extent6 colour photographs
RightsThese items are subject to copyright protection. Reproduction of the content, or any part of it, other than for research, academic or non-commercial use is prohibited without prior consent from the copyright holder.
MetadataShow full item record
Photographs and information on the Dutch Reformed Church and its bell in Malgas near Swellendam. The Oude Nederduits Gereformeerde Kerk was started in 1855 and enlarged in 1861. On the left hand side of the church stands a low bell tower with a silver coated bell. On its waist we read MADE FOR JAMES ROBERSTON & CO, CAPE TOWN. The above inscription is remarkable as it points to the company that has been responsible for the delivery, rather than to the founder. A similar bell for the same company can be found in the Christ the King Church in Claremont, Cape Town as well as in the Methodist Church in Somerset West. Malgas used to be an important inland harbour for sailing ships between the Overberg and Cape Town. Nowadays it remains a touristic attraction because of its crossing of the Breede Rivier with the help of male pullers.
- Swellendam