Swellendam, Reformed Church
C. S. Bell (Firm)
Format Extent8 color photographs
RightsThese items are subject to copyright protection. Reproduction of the content, or any part of it, other than for research, academic or non-commercial use is prohibited without prior consent from the copyright holder.
MetadataShow full item record
Photographs and information on the Reformed Church in Swellendam. The Hervormde Kerk in Swellendam has been started in 1958. One of its remarkable features is that the church has two bells, both hanging in a detached tower. The main bell is obviously the one for which an exceedingly high tower has been constructed on the left hand side of the entrance of the church. Because of its height, we were unable to inspect the bell more closely. Its overall form and canons suggest that the bell has been of German making. Below the shoulder one can read the dedication of the bell as it reads GESCHENK DEUR H.S.V. 1960. The abbreviation H.S.V. refers to the Hervormde Sustersvereniging that has been established in 1940 within the Nederduits Hervormde Kerk. The date of the bell can be seen on the eastside of the bell, behind the turning wheel. The high tower neatly contrasts with the much lower tower in which hangs a bell that is easily recognised as coming from the Ohio located C.S. Bell Company in Hillsboro.
- Swellendam