Southern Suburbs, Simon's Town, Marine Depot
Format Extent6 colour photograph
RightsThese items are subject to copyright protection. Reproduction of the content, or any part of it, other than for research, academic or non-commercial use is prohibited without prior consent from the copyright holder.
MetadataShow full item record
Very close to the Dutch Reformed Church there is a set of buildings that belong to the South African Navy. This is probably the Marine Depot of the SA Naval Museum. At a street corner stands a metal frame with a rather large bell in it. The bell has been painted silver but the paint has been deteriorating giving the bell a rather strange look. The inscriptions on the front side of the bell could easily be read. The other side might contain information on the founder but we did not have access to that side. The top line of the inscription is in circular form. One finds as text: CAPE YARD WT-T 1922. Under the founding year stands a kind of triangular emblem that we could not decipher.