Southern Suburbs, Wynberg, Evangelical Lutheran Church
Petit & Fritsen (Firm)
Format Extent7 colour photographs
RightsThese items are subject to copyright protection. Reproduction of the content, or any part of it, other than for research, academic or non-commercial use is prohibited without prior consent from the copyright holder.
MetadataShow full item record
The Evangelical-Lutheran Church of St. Johannis in Wynberg was built in 1860. In the white tower hangs a very nice and recent bell of Dutch making. The foundry has been the Petit & Fritsen factory from Aarle-Rixtel in the Netherlands. As one can read from a plaque in the church, the bell has been a gift of Conrad Adenauer who was at that time Chancelor of Western Germany. Below the shoulder lies a nice band of flowers followed by a number of moulding wires. In between two pairs of such wires we read A.D. 1961 indicating that this is one of the youngest bells in the Western Cape. Below this phrase stands another decorative band. On the waist one finds the following text: “DEUTSCHLAND” Ps.95 KOMMT HERZU LASST UNS DEN HERRN FROHLOCKEN. On the other waist is an effigy of a Saint. Above the lip and again in between two sets of moulding wires one finds information on the donors of the bell. SUPPLIED BY SOUTH AFRICAN ORGAN BUILDERS (Pty) SILVERTON and further PETIT & FRITSEN. AARLE-RIXTEL. HOLLAND. 3474. The donors are the same as those of the bell in the St Mary’s Church in Ceres.