Bergrivier, Aurora, Dutch Reformed Church
Format Extent10 colour photographs
RightsThese items are subject to copyright protection. Reproduction of the content, or any part of it, other than for research, academic or non-commercial use is prohibited without prior consent from the copyright holder.
MetadataShow full item record
The Nederduits Gereformeerde Kerk in Aurora is a remarkable building by W.F. Ford from 1908. In the yard around the church stands a bell tower that houses a moderately sized bell that has a tin appearance. On one side are the inscriptions E. BURMESTER CAPE-TOWN. We know Burmester as the provider of bells in the Western Cape, not as a founder. However, the bell has small dimensions and is rather poorly made. It is not impossible that over the years Burmester decided to start founding his own bells rather than having them made in a professional foundry. The only decoration on the bell consists of four moulding wires just about the sound bow. The bell is used to announce the services in the church. Inside the tower hangs a second bell that is used as an hour bell. Also this bell is not made of quality bronze as it is rusted all over. The only decoration consists of four moulding wires just about the sound bow. It is not impossible that the bell was made by the same founder as the outside bell.
- Bergrivier