Southern Suburbs, Simon's Town, Methodist Church
Format Extent6 colour photographs
RightsThese items are subject to copyright protection. Reproduction of the content, or any part of it, other than for research, academic or non-commercial use is prohibited without prior consent from the copyright holder.
MetadataShow full item record
The Methodist Congregation dates from 1807 and the Methodist Church from 1828. The church is the oldest in Simon’s Town and the oldest Methodist Church in the whole of South Africa. The church has a bell in a high detached tower but the bell does not seem to carry any decorations or indications about its founder or founding date. The similarity of the bell with that of the nearby St Simon & St Jude’s Catholic Church suggests that also this bell has been made by E.T. at the Simon’s Town Dockyards.