Southern Suburbs, Wynberg, St. John's Anglican Church
Format Extent6 colour photographs
RightsThese items are subject to copyright protection. Reproduction of the content, or any part of it, other than for research, academic or non-commercial use is prohibited without prior consent from the copyright holder.
MetadataShow full item record
The St John Anglican Church in Wynberg has been built in 1884 by George Ransome. The church was enlarged in 1900 by Anthony M De Witt. Next to the church stands a very simple bell tower in which hangs a bell made by Barwell as can be seen from the emblem of the foundry that we have encountered on numerous other bells in the Western Cape. Unfortunately, there is no reference to a date on the bell. From the book The Church on the Hill by C. Vos we learn that the bell was acquired in 1919.