Recent Submissions

  • Southern Suburbs, Mowbray, St. Patrick's Catholic Church 

    Unknown author
    The St. Patrick’s Catholic Church at Mowbray was started in 1929 and the bell hangs in an unusual round grey tower that looks like belonging to a castle rather than a church. The small but attractive bell unfortunately ...
  • Southern Suburbs, Constantia, Alphen Hotel 

    Noorden, Claes; De Grave, Jan Albert
    Next to the Alphen Hotel in Constantia stands a large horseshoe-type bell tower that seems to be made for a bell of fair size. The bell that hangs in the tower is small but of great historic and artistic value. Moreover, ...
  • Southern Suburbs, Claremont, Congregational Church 

    Unknown author
    The Congregational Church in Claremont lies on a very hectic road. The church itself with its thatched roofs is pretty from all sides. It was built in 1840 and enlarged in 1892. On the street side stands a rather high bell ...
  • Southern Suburbs, Bergvliet, Holy Redeemer Catholic Church 

    John Taylor & Company (Bellfounders)
    The Holy Redeemer Catholic Church in Bergvliet was opened in 1936. It has a pretty bell tower that can easily be reached. The bell is a typical British product. Below the shoulder are two pairs of moulding rings with in ...
  • Southern Suburbs, Wynberg, St. John's Anglican Church 

    Barwell, James
    The St John Anglican Church in Wynberg has been built in 1884 by George Ransome. The church was enlarged in 1900 by Anthony M De Witt. Next to the church stands a very simple bell tower in which hangs a bell made by Barwell ...
  • Southern Suburbs, Wynberg, Dutch Reformed Church 

    Weule, J. F.
    The Nederduits Gereformeerde Kerk in Wynberg was founded in 1829 and has an old bell-tower. The bell has no inscriptions, even no clapper. What makes the bell somewhat unusual is the very large number of moulding wires ...
  • Southern Suburbs, Wynberg, Evangelical Lutheran Church 

    Petit & Fritsen (Firm)
    The Evangelical-Lutheran Church of St. Johannis in Wynberg was built in 1860. In the white tower hangs a very nice and recent bell of Dutch making. The foundry has been the Petit & Fritsen factory from Aarle-Rixtel in the ...
  • Southern Suburbs, Tokai, Steenberg Hotel 

    Unknown author
    At the Steenberg Hotel in Tokai we found a ship’s bell of simple making and containing the inscription SHIP. MANCHESTER just above the waist. The original canon has been broken off. Searching the internet, we could discover ...
  • Southern Suburbs, St. James Catholic Church 

    Gillett & Johnston (Firm); Byrne, M.
    St James Catholic Church used to be situated on the other side of the road where the railway tracks are now. The church has two bells and one of them refers to the move of the church to its current location in 1901. This ...
  • Southern Suburbs, Simon's Town, St. Francis Anglican Church 

    Unknown author
    The St Francis of Assisi Anglican Church itself dates from 1849. The simple bell sits in a bell cote high up on the side of the church. There doesn’t seem to be any decoration on the bell.
  • Southern Suburbs, Simon's Town, South African Naval Museum 

    Thwaits (Firm); Mears, Thomas
    The Simon’s Town South African Naval Museum covers the rich maritime history of the region and the country. Within the museum there is a large number of ship bells mostly dating from the second half of the twentieth century. ...
  • Southern Suburbs, Simon's Town, Dutch Reformed Church 

    Unknown author
    The Nederduits Gereformeerde Kerk in Simon’s Town dates from 1856. It has a bell that is unfortunately covered by leafs on all sides. What can be read on one side is SIMON’S TOWN 1885 while on the other side one reads ...
  • Southern Suburbs, Simon's Town, Methodist Church 

    Unknown author
    The Methodist Congregation dates from 1807 and the Methodist Church from 1828. The church is the oldest in Simon’s Town and the oldest Methodist Church in the whole of South Africa. The church has a bell in a high detached ...
  • Southern Suburbs, Simon's Town, Marine Depot 

    Unknown author
    Very close to the Dutch Reformed Church there is a set of buildings that belong to the South African Navy. This is probably the Marine Depot of the SA Naval Museum. At a street corner stands a metal frame with a rather ...
  • Southern Suburbs, Rondebosch, St. Thomas Anglican Church 

    Unknown author
    The St. Thomas Anglican Church at Rondebosch is a Sophie Gray Church and was established in 1864. The bell is situated in a bell-cote and can hardly be investigated. Moreover, the bell is suffering from serious corrosion. ...
  • Southern Suburbs, Rondebosch, St. Paul's Anglican Church 

    Murphy, John
    One finds a rather large bell in the neat open tower of the Saint Paul's Anglican Church. Below the shoulder there are two moulding wires and beneath this the inscription band JOHN MURPHY FOUNDER DUBLIN 1874 and below this ...
  • Southern Suburbs, Rondebosch, St. Michael's Catholic Church 

    Blews & Sons (Firm)
    St Michael’s Catholic Church: The current church is the third that has been built on the same premises. One of the main features is that the stained glass windows of the first church depicting different Saints have been ...
  • Southern Suburbs, Rondebosch, Dominican Convent 

    Phoenix Foundry
    The Convent of the Dominican Sisters in Springfield: Within the gardens of the convent stands a high bell tower in which hangs a fairly good size bell. There are hardly any decorations on the bell except for a reference ...
  • Southern Suburbs, Rondebosch, Bishop Diocesan College 

    Mears & Stainbank (Firm)
    The Bishop’s Diocesan College has built a Memorial Chapel in 1926 in memory of the 110 Old Boys who were killed during the Great War. The large chapel has been built by Walgate & Lancelot A Elsworth. In a turret at the ...
  • Southern Suburbs, Plumstead, Corpus Christi 

    Petit & Gebruder Edelbrock (Firm)
    Corpus Christi Catholic Church: There are two impressive towers on both sides of the main entrance to the church in Wittebome. In the tower on the right hangs a nicely decorated bell from a German foundry. In between two ...

View more