Caledon, Dutch Reformed Church
Mears & Stainbank (Firm)
Format Extent7 colour photographs
RightsThese items are subject to copyright protection. Reproduction of the content, or any part of it, other than for research, academic or non-commercial use is prohibited without prior consent from the copyright holder.
MetadataShow full item record
Photographs and information on the bell of the Dutch Reformed Church in Caledon. The Caledon Dutch Reformed congregation dates from 1811 and is the 8th oldest congregation of the Dutch Reformed Church in South Africa. Its first church building was inaugurated in 1813 and served as a church and school until 1876 after which it served as a school and a community hall. In 1876 a new church was inaugurated serving the congregation until 1956 when it was knocked down and the present church built on the same site. The latter was inaugurated in April 1958. In the tower of the present church is a bell from the Mears and Stainbank Foundry, the name Mears appearing on the beam to which the bell is attached. On one side of the bell we find the inscription CAST FOR W.W. KEAY & SONS CAPE TOWN. On the other side is the date 1958. Between the numbers 9 and 5 in the date is engraved the characteristic three bells foundry stamp.
- Theewaterskloof