Caledon, Holy Trinity Anglican Church
John Warner & Sons
Format Extent6 colour photographs
RightsThese items are subject to copyright protection. Reproduction of the content, or any part of it, other than for research, academic or non-commercial use is prohibited without prior consent from the copyright holder.
MetadataShow full item record
Photographs and information on the bell of the Holy Trinity Anglican Church in Caledon. Efforts to build this Sophie Gray church were started in 1848 during Bishop Gray’s first visit to Caledon. In 1849 Sophie Gray visited Caledon and could discuss plans with the builder after which construction started and the foundation stone was laid on 31 May 1850. The first church service was held in March 1854 in the completed church and it was consecrated by Bishop Gray on 22 August 1855. High up in the bellcote sits a bell. On the lip can be read the name of the founder: J WARNER & SONS LONDON This is followed by (apparently) a date, but the distance and angle makes it impossible to read.
- Theewaterskloof