Theewaterskloof, Greyton, Dutch Reformed Church
Louw & Louw (Firm)
J. F. Weule (Firm)
Format Extent8 colour photographs
RightsThese items are subject to copyright protection. Reproduction of the content, or any part of it, other than for research, academic or non-commercial use is prohibited without prior consent from the copyright holder.
MetadataShow full item record
Photographs and information on the bells of the Dutch Reformed Church in Greyton, South Africa. The Nederduits Gereformeerde Kerk has been built by by Louw & Louw in 1937. The church has an impressive bell tower in which hangs an equally impressive bell. The bell has been specifically made for the church. Decorations on the bell are rather minimal. The founder’s emblem is just below the shoulder on one waist of the bell. The emblem is circular and refers to J. F. WEULE BOCKENEM. In 1836 a clock factory was started in Bockenem am Harz by JF Weule (1811-1897). His son Friedrich (1855-1952) added bell casting from 1880 onwards. His own son Friedrich jr (1883-1954) got involved in war activities. He also was responsible for a connection in 1918 with the Apolda factory run by the Brothers Ulrich. The firm was closed in 1966. At the same height but on the other side stands GREYTON 1953.
- Theewaterskloof